Cases of mold in Capri Sun pouches worry consumers, disgusts 5-year-old
Last Updated: 33 days ago
Capri Sun was Riley Anne's favorite drink, until an incident last month, Hawaii News Now reported.
As the 5-year-old from Hawaii described it, "I drank it and I spit it out and I didn't know what it was so I asked JC".
"JC" is her uncle, James Stoddard, bought the Capri Sun at Costco a few weeks prior. Stoddard cut the pouch and make a cringe-worthy discovery.
"I ended up cutting up the bag, and it had mold in the bag" Stoddard said.
Read the full story from Hawaii News Now here: http://bit.ly/1dCeQ64
Capri Sun issued a statement on their website, reading,
"Although it’s extremely rare, because Capri Sun does not contain any artificial preservatives, something many moms appreciate, it is possible for food mold to grow inside a pouch that has been punctured and is exposed to air. What usually forms is a common food mold similar to what might grow on fruit or bread. In the past, experts have told us there are no significant or long-term health effects associated with consuming this type of mold, though we understand how bad of an experience it can be for a child to drink."
Read the full statement here: http://bit.ly/16W1Djm
Over the years, various reports have surfaced of strange and unusual objects lurking inside its foil pouches. In June 2010 one concerned parent found a type of “foul smelling” object in a Capri Sun Apple Splash, in May 2011 a man from Texas identified what he assumed was a worm in his drink and in 2012 reports of another woman and a black particle covered glob surfaced. On all occasions -- all of which were in the US -- manufacturers Kraft Foods blamed it on mold.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.