Annie's Homegrown Frozen Pizza recalled due to possible presence of metal fragments
FDA: No complaints, illnesses or injuries reported
Last Updated: 121 days ago
BERKELEY, Calif. - Annie's Inc. is voluntarily recalling seven kinds of frozen pizza sold nationwide over the possible risk that metal fragments made their way into the dough.
The organic and natural food company said it issued the recall after finding out that a metal mesh screen at a third-party flour mill had failed. As a result fragments of the mesh were found in the flour and pizza dough. The pieces of the wire were too small to be detected by control programs and could have made their way into the product.
Annie's said that while no metal has been found in its finished product, it initiated the recall as a precaution. It did not disclose the exact number of pizzas involved in the recall.
On its website, the Food and Drug Administration reported that there have been no consumer complaints, illnesses or injuries reported.
Annie's is recalling "Homegrown Frozen Pizza" products sold at stores across the country with a "best by" date between Jan. 9 and Sept. 14. The recall includes the following varieties:
- -Organic Four Cheese Pizza in the 23.5 oz. size and UPC of 013562 200016
- -Organic Pepperoni Pizza in the 23.6 oz. size and UPC of 013562 200009
- -Organic Supreme Pizza in the 25.4 oz. size and UPC of 013562 200023
- -Organic Spinach and Mushroom Pizza in 25.0 oz. size and UPC of 013562 200054
- -Four Cheese Pizza in 22.5 oz. size and UPC of 013562 200078
- -Pepperoni Pizza in 22.6 oz. size and UPC of 013562 200061
- -BBQ Recipe Chicken Pizza in 23.1 oz. size and UPC of 013562 200092
The company said it is working with the FDA and the USDA and expects a quick resolution of this issue.
Consumers who have purchased the product can return it for a full refund. Consumers with questions may call Annie's Homegrown Pizza Recall Hotline at 888-825-6720, or visit www.annies.com/pizzarecall for more information.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.