Wind Advisory issued May 4 at 11:05AM PDT expiring May 4 at 11:00PM PDT in effect for: Fresno, Kern, Kings, Merced
Three workers at Community Recycle and Resource Recovery Inc. were rushed to a hospital after being overcome by toxic fumes.Kern County Fire Department Public Information Officer Sean Collins said that about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, a call was received by the KCFD regarding two unconscious men in a cement drainage tunnel at the Community Recycling Center, in the 1200 block of North Wheeler Ridge, south of Lamont.Crews said they found two men at the base of an eight-foot vertical shaft that linked to the drainage system. UPDATE
16-Year-Old Killed At Recycling Process Plant
Fire crews used air-monitoring equipment to verify the levels of toxicity and then established air flow to reduce the level of concentration, Collins said.Crews used a ladder to gain access to the base of the shaft to reach the victims.
A rescuer wearing self-contained breathing apparatus was able to place each man, separately, into a rescue harness. The men were then raised them to ground level, and CPR was started on both of them.A third man who remained at the surface was also treated for inhalation of the fumes.All three men were taken to a local hospital.KC Environmental Health identified the gas as H2S, hydrogen sulfide.There were no reported injuries to rescuers.The condition of the men is unknown.