Can I Burn Today?
Last Updated: 364 days ago
The question of "can I burn firewood," has become a household common as the winter season is in full swing.
Valleyair has released information regarding fire burning regulations.
When wood burning is prohibited, this means you cant burn any solid fuel, including wood, pellets and manufactured wood. This is prohibited from midnight to midnight, according to Valleyair. If you violate this, you can receive a fine. To report violations, call:
- 1-800-281-7003 in San Joaquin, Stanislaus and Merced counties.
- 1-800-870-1037 in Madera, Fresno and Kings counties.
- 1-800-926-5550 in Tulare and the valley portion of Kern counties.
Exemptions to wood-burning prohibitions You may use your wood-burning fireplace or device on a prohibited day if:
- You live in an area where there is no natural-gas service.
- If wood-burning is your only source of heat.
When you can burn, Valleyair asks that you burn cleanly. This means that you cant burn trash, magazines, newspapers, plastics or other materials not designed to burn in fireplaces or stoves. This is illegal and hazardous, according to Valleyair. Also, For an ambience fire in an open fireplace, a manufactured fire log may be a cleaner alternative to wood.
- Ensure firewood is clean, seasoned and dry before burning it. Unseasoned wood smolders and creates additional emissions.
- Never burn trash, magazines, newspapers, plastics or other materials not designed to burn in fireplaces or stoves. Doing so is illegal and hazardous.
- Replace old solid fuel-burning equipment with cleaner EPA Phase II-certified or pellet-fueled devices. Or install natural gas or propane devices, which are not subject to Air District wood-burning rules.
- For an ambience fire in an open fireplace, a manufactured fire log may be a cleaner alternative to wood.
If you would like to be e-mailed with current wood burning conditions sign up here atwww.valleyair.org.
You can also find out the daily wood-burning status by calling the SMOG-INFO line at 1-800-766-4463.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.