ARVIN, Calif. - Several homes were evacuated in Arvin late Tuesday, after officials said there was a potentially dangerous gas leak.
Eight homes near Nelson Court and Varsity Road are under mandatory evacuations by the Kern County Fire Department and various other agencies.
The leak was capped Tuesday night.
The evacuees stayed the night in a Bakersfield-area hotel, paid for by Petro Capital Resource. They were told to pack for a week, but KCFD said they hope to have everyone back home in a day or two.
Arvin High School, less than half a mile away, will be open Wednesday.
Officials said the evacuations are precautionary steps to protect residents from a potentially explosive atmosphere.
Environmental Health officials came out and found a petroleum-based liquid in old pipelines, and resident of the area say they have smelled gas odors for days.
Environmental Health, KCFD, Arvin Police and Animal Services are working together on the evacuations.
This comes after Monday's voluntary evacuation, when 20 different homes were given the suggestion of leaving for safety.