The Bakersfield Police Department has been receiving numerous calls regarding a variety of scams occurring in the community.
Typically, the public scams taking place are limited to one type of scam or another. For example, a PG&E scam or Kern County Sheriff Department warrant scam.
The BPD has received calls regarding IRS, PG&E, Jury Duty, Arrest Warrant, Grandparent, Pre-Paid Debit card, Lottery and many more types of scams.
Here are some tips that you can use to protect yourself from being the victim of a scam:
- Do not provide unsolicited personal identifying information over the phone
- Do not send money based on a request made over the phone or on the internet
- Do not purchase a pre-paid debit card and give the information to a caller
- Do not act quickly, hang up the phone and verify
- Do your own research on the agency or institution the caller claims to be representing
- Do not rely on an internet site or telephone number provided by the caller
- Be aware of elderly adults’ financial activities, the elderly are often prime victims of telephone scammers
The Bakersfield Police Department is reminding people that once they send a scammer money, their MONEY WILL NOT BE RECOVERED!!! So when entering into a financial agreement with an unsolicited caller or internet solicitation asking for money be prepared to simply give that money away.
Here are some links to a variety of internet sites that provide useful information about how not to be victimized by scammers:
- Federal Trade Commission – www.ftc.gov
- National Consumers League – www.fraud.org
- Internet Crime Complaint Center – www.ic3.gov
- Better Business Bureau – www.bbb.org
Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to call the Bakersfield Police Department at (661) 327-7111.
Grandfather turns home into haunted house
It's getting close to that night of fear when all the ghouls and goblins appear. Now, one man is turning his home into a place filled…
Mission at Kern County gets unexpected gift
Drug abuse is something we hear about on a daily basis, but it hits particularly closer to home for one Bakersfield family who are now giving…
BPD: 1 woman pinned to car recovering at hosp.
A woman pinned inside her vehicle after getting into a two-car accident in the southwest is recovering at a local hospital, according to the…
IEEE awards $1,500 to Boys & Girls Club of Kern
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Kern County is getting a little help from an unexpected source.