The Bakersfield Police Department has been receiving numerous calls regarding a variety of scams occurring in the community.
Typically, the public scams taking place are limited to one type of scam or another. For example, a PG&E scam or Kern County Sheriff Department warrant scam.
The BPD has received calls regarding IRS, PG&E, Jury Duty, Arrest Warrant, Grandparent, Pre-Paid Debit card, Lottery and many more types of scams.
Here are some tips that you can use to protect yourself from being the victim of a scam:
- Do not provide unsolicited personal identifying information over the phone
- Do not send money based on a request made over the phone or on the internet
- Do not purchase a pre-paid debit card and give the information to a caller
- Do not act quickly, hang up the phone and verify
- Do your own research on the agency or institution the caller claims to be representing
- Do not rely on an internet site or telephone number provided by the caller
- Be aware of elderly adults’ financial activities, the elderly are often prime victims of telephone scammers
The Bakersfield Police Department is reminding people that once they send a scammer money, their MONEY WILL NOT BE RECOVERED!!! So when entering into a financial agreement with an unsolicited caller or internet solicitation asking for money be prepared to simply give that money away.
Here are some links to a variety of internet sites that provide useful information about how not to be victimized by scammers:
- Federal Trade Commission – www.ftc.gov
- National Consumers League – www.fraud.org
- Internet Crime Complaint Center – www.ic3.gov
- Better Business Bureau – www.bbb.org
Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to call the Bakersfield Police Department at (661) 327-7111.
Local dietitian weighs in on sugar intake
The World Health Organization is calling on all countries to reduce their sugar intake by 10% .
BPD: Man stole from Office Max in northeast
Local law enforcement are looking for a man they say stole from an Office Max store in Northeast Bakersfield.
BPD: Man wanted for Salvation Army theft
The Bakersfield Police Department is looking for a man they say stole clothing from a Salvation Army store in Southwest Bakersfield.
BPD: Woman stole, used credit card at Vons store
A woman suspected of forgery is wanted by the Bakersfield Police Department.