The Bakersfield Police Department has been receiving numerous calls regarding a variety of scams occurring in the community.
Typically, the public scams taking place are limited to one type of scam or another. For example, a PG&E scam or Kern County Sheriff Department warrant scam.
The BPD has received calls regarding IRS, PG&E, Jury Duty, Arrest Warrant, Grandparent, Pre-Paid Debit card, Lottery and many more types of scams.
Here are some tips that you can use to protect yourself from being the victim of a scam:
- Do not provide unsolicited personal identifying information over the phone
- Do not send money based on a request made over the phone or on the internet
- Do not purchase a pre-paid debit card and give the information to a caller
- Do not act quickly, hang up the phone and verify
- Do your own research on the agency or institution the caller claims to be representing
- Do not rely on an internet site or telephone number provided by the caller
- Be aware of elderly adults’ financial activities, the elderly are often prime victims of telephone scammers
The Bakersfield Police Department is reminding people that once they send a scammer money, their MONEY WILL NOT BE RECOVERED!!! So when entering into a financial agreement with an unsolicited caller or internet solicitation asking for money be prepared to simply give that money away.
Here are some links to a variety of internet sites that provide useful information about how not to be victimized by scammers:
- Federal Trade Commission – www.ftc.gov
- National Consumers League – www.fraud.org
- Internet Crime Complaint Center – www.ic3.gov
- Better Business Bureau – www.bbb.org
Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to call the Bakersfield Police Department at (661) 327-7111.
Political ads not a hit with voters
With the November general election two weeks away, candidates have unloaded a handful of advertisements calling out their opponents.
Volunteers help downtown Bakersfield stay safe
The BPD is getting the extra eyes and ears needed to help beef up safety downtown.
Many want Panorama Park to get bathrooms
If you want to enjoy the amenities at the Panorama Park Trail, you're in for a treat.
Governor Brown: California needs long-term...
Gov. Jerry Brown says he will focus on a long-term strategy to cope with California's water problems if he is re-elected in November.