Cal Fire is urging state residents to check their smoke alarms in an effort to keep families safe and reduce fire fatalities.
Nearly two-thirds of home fire deaths happen in homes with no working smoke alarms.
Cal Fire says a little attention to these important life-saving devices can go a long way to increase your chances of survival.
Cal Fire is offering the following smoke alarm safety tips to keep your home safe:
1. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home.
2. Interconnected alarms are best because if one sounds, they all sound.
3. Never paint over a smoke alarm.
4. Replace your smoke alarm every ten years.
5. Remember to never leave batteries out of your alarm.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.