BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - It's the season for wildfires across the west, but the Bakersfield City Fire Department wants to remind you that anytime is the time to be prepared for a fire at home.
City officials have offered an array of safety tips for protecting your home beginning with a smoke detector.
Here's more suggestions for your home safety plan:
- Test your detector monthly and replace the battery bi-annually.
- Time change is the perfect opportunity to replace the battery in your smoke detectors.
- Make sure every member of your family has at least two escape routes from their bedroom in the event of a fire.
- Practice an escape plan and designate a meeting place for all family members.
- If windows or doors in your home have security bars, make sure that the bars have emergency release devices inside so that they can be opened immediately in an emergency.
- Never open doors that are hot.
- Assist children and the elderly escaping from a fire.
- In case of a fire, stay low to the ground beneath the smoke.
-GET OUT, STAY OUT, CALL 9-1-1
Also, organize a meeting place outside the home in a safe place for your family to gather to make sure everyone is accounted for after a fire breaks out.
And practice, practice, practice!!!