For the health, safety, and comfort of our residents, the Kern County Parks and Recreation Department, in cooperation with the Department of Aging and Adult Services, other Kern County agencies and/or districts, and PG&E, will open Cooling Centers throughout the County when temperatures are forecast by the National Weather Service (NWS) to exceed certain highs.
Cooling Centers open in the San Joaquin and Kern River Valleys when the temperatures are forecast to be 105 degrees or higher, in the desert areas when temperatures are forecast to be 108 degrees or higher, and in Frazier Park when temperatures are forecast to be 95 degrees or higher.
The centers are open from 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
The Cooling Centers Daily Report will be issued by 11:00 am on the day before the Centers open. Weekend Cooling Center openings will be released by 11:00 am on Friday.
Residents using the Cooling Centers are encouraged to bring their favorite non-alcoholic beverages, snacks, reading material, games, etc. to better enjoy the Centers.
The status of the Cooling Centers for Tuesday, July 1, 2014 is:
SAN JOAQUIN AND KERN RIVER VALLEY CENTERS
- Arvin Senior Center, 800 Walnut Drive, Arvin, OPEN
- Buttonwillow Recreation and Park District, 556 Milo, Buttonwillow, Closed
- East Bakersfield Veterans Building, 2101 Ridge Road, Bakersfield, OPEN
- East Niles Senior Center, 6601 East Niles Street, Bakersfield, OPEN
- Kern River Valley Senior Center/Veterans Building, 6405 Lake Isabella Blvd., Lake Isabella, Closed
- Taft Veterans Building, 213 Taylor Street, Taft, Closed
- Walker Senior Center, 505 Sunset Avenue, Shafter, OPEN
- Wasco Veterans Hall, 1202 Poplar Avenue, Wasco, OPEN
- Frazier Park Recreation Building, 3801 Park Drive, Frazier Park, Closed
- California City Police Department, 21130 Hacienda Blvd., California City, Closed
- Hummel Community Building, 2500 20th Street, Rosamond, Closed
- Inyokern Senior Center, 1247 Broadway, Inyokern, OPEN
GET Bus to add 3 night routes
Monday, July 6, GET will start evening service on three routes.
BPD: Man dies while in custody
Bakersfield police said a man died while in custody Sunday night.
Illegal fireworks burn up family's home
Over a thousand fireworks calls went out to Kern County Fire Department and Bakersfield City Fire over the Fourth of July weekend.
Pet reunification after 4th of July
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - If you lost your pet during the holiday weekend you might want to check the local shelters. Fourth of July weekend is…