For the health, safety, and comfort of our residents, the Kern County Parks and Recreation Department, in cooperation with the Department of Aging and Adult Services, other Kern County agencies and/or districts, and PG&E, will open Cooling Centers throughout the County when temperatures are forecast by the National Weather Service (NWS) to exceed certain highs.
Cooling Centers open in the San Joaquin and Kern River Valleys when the temperatures are forecast to be 105 degrees or higher, in the desert areas when temperatures are forecast to be 108 degrees or higher, and in Frazier Park when temperatures are forecast to be 95 degrees or higher.
The centers are open from 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
The Cooling Centers Daily Report will be issued by 11:00 am on the day before the Centers open. Weekend Cooling Center openings will be released by 11:00 am on Friday.
Residents using the Cooling Centers are encouraged to bring their favorite non-alcoholic beverages, snacks, reading material, games, etc. to better enjoy the Centers.
The status of the Cooling Centers for Tuesday, July 1, 2014 is:
SAN JOAQUIN AND KERN RIVER VALLEY CENTERS
- Arvin Senior Center, 800 Walnut Drive, Arvin, OPEN
- Buttonwillow Recreation and Park District, 556 Milo, Buttonwillow, Closed
- East Bakersfield Veterans Building, 2101 Ridge Road, Bakersfield, OPEN
- East Niles Senior Center, 6601 East Niles Street, Bakersfield, OPEN
- Kern River Valley Senior Center/Veterans Building, 6405 Lake Isabella Blvd., Lake Isabella, Closed
- Taft Veterans Building, 213 Taylor Street, Taft, Closed
- Walker Senior Center, 505 Sunset Avenue, Shafter, OPEN
- Wasco Veterans Hall, 1202 Poplar Avenue, Wasco, OPEN
- Frazier Park Recreation Building, 3801 Park Drive, Frazier Park, Closed
- California City Police Department, 21130 Hacienda Blvd., California City, Closed
- Hummel Community Building, 2500 20th Street, Rosamond, Closed
- Inyokern Senior Center, 1247 Broadway, Inyokern, OPEN
Resident says Craigslist ad led to burglary
Christina Ramires bought a fixer upper for her parents, and after she tried to get rid of a storage container in the backyard, she lost a lot…
Bouncer's license under investigation
Russ Heimerich of the Department of Consumer Affairs said that the bouncer involved in the beating at Sandrini's bar shouldn't have been…
Engraved bricks in front of Rabobank taken out
The city of Bakersfield will be removing the engraved bricks on the ground in front of Rabobank that have been there for more than 15 years.
Court: Pot grower charged with starting wildfire
A suspected marijuana grower was indicted Thursday on charges that include igniting a wildfire that burned a remote part of Sequoia National…