LAMONT, Calif. - Tenants in a dozen apartment units were displaced early Friday morning after a fire broke out at their Lamont housing complex.
The fire started just before 12:40 a.m. in an electrical unit at the Country Village Apartments in the 10400 block of Main Street.
A second alarm was called based on concerns the fire had spread to the common attic, according to Kern County Fire Department spokesman Corey Wilford. Fire crews inspected the attic and found no indication of flames or smoke damage.
Residents in a total of 12 units were displaced after PG&E crews asked to keep power off for the rest of the night, according to Wilford. The Kern Chapter of the Red Cross was called out to assist tenants.
Damage is estimated at $25,000. According to Wilford, firefighters were able to save approximately $1 million dollars.