Kern County fire season is set to be especially devastating due to the extreme drought conditions. One way to keep on top of safety information and tips is with the Red Cross Wildfire app.
Be ready for wildfire with Wildfire by the American Red Cross. Prepare your family, home and pets, let loved ones know that you are safe even if the power is out – a must have for anyone who lives in an area that is susceptible to wildfires or has loved ones that do.
Ahora disponible en español.
• Step-by-step instructions let you know what to do even before/during/after wildfires, even if no data connectivity.
• Wildfire News section with state-by-state links to all fire-fighting agencies’ Twitter feeds and websites ensuring the most recent developments on current wildfires.
• Click-to-call access to your state’s 511 network for the latest traffic information in case of evacuation
• Let family and friends know you are okay with the customizable “I’m Safe” alert for Facebook, Twitter, email and text.
• Find open Red Cross shelters in your area when you need help.
• Stay safe when the lights are out with the Toolkit, including a strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions.
• Prepare for the worst by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation.
• Empower your family to stay safe and remain calm in an emergency by learning how to make and practice an emergency plan.
• Earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your wildfire knowledge with interactive quizzes.
BPD officer involved in shooting at local park
A Bakersfield Police officer has been involved in a shooting at Stiern Park.
Public memorial service for Ofc. Nelson
The public was invited to attend a memorial service Tuesday July 7th, 2015, for fallen Bakersfield Police Officer David Nelson.
Truxtun Ave. closed for Officer Nelson memorial
Truxtun Avenue is closed in Downtown Bakersfield ahead of this afternoon's memorial for fallen Bakersfield Police Officer David Nelson.
Chief Williamson's open letter about Nelson
On Friday, June 26th the Bakersfield Police Department lost a brother officer. Officer David Nelson, a two year veteran, was tragically killed…