Kern County fire season is set to be especially devastating due to the extreme drought conditions. One way to keep on top of safety information and tips is with the Red Cross Wildfire app.
Be ready for wildfire with Wildfire by the American Red Cross. Prepare your family, home and pets, let loved ones know that you are safe even if the power is out – a must have for anyone who lives in an area that is susceptible to wildfires or has loved ones that do.
Ahora disponible en español.
• Step-by-step instructions let you know what to do even before/during/after wildfires, even if no data connectivity.
• Wildfire News section with state-by-state links to all fire-fighting agencies’ Twitter feeds and websites ensuring the most recent developments on current wildfires.
• Click-to-call access to your state’s 511 network for the latest traffic information in case of evacuation
• Let family and friends know you are okay with the customizable “I’m Safe” alert for Facebook, Twitter, email and text.
• Find open Red Cross shelters in your area when you need help.
• Stay safe when the lights are out with the Toolkit, including a strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions.
• Prepare for the worst by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation.
• Empower your family to stay safe and remain calm in an emergency by learning how to make and practice an emergency plan.
• Earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your wildfire knowledge with interactive quizzes.
Grandfather turns home into haunted house
It's getting close to that night of fear when all the ghouls and goblins appear. Now, one man is turning his home into a place filled…
Mission at Kern County gets unexpected gift
Drug abuse is something we hear about on a daily basis, but it hits particularly closer to home for one Bakersfield family who are now giving…
BPD: 1 woman pinned to car recovering at hosp.
A woman pinned inside her vehicle after getting into a two-car accident in the southwest is recovering at a local hospital, according to the…
IEEE awards $1,500 to Boys & Girls Club of Kern
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Kern County is getting a little help from an unexpected source.