Firefighters rescue cat from burning apartment
Cause of East Bakersfield fire blamed on food
Last Updated: 237 days ago
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - A Bakersfield woman is thanking firefighter for saving the life of her beloved pet during a fire at her East Bakersfield apartment.
The fire started Tuesday night at an apartment on Haley Street.
"We had heavy fire and smoke up on the second floor," said Bakersfield City Fire Capt. Pat Papasergia. "We had to force entry."
Papasergia says when crews entered the apartment, they found Hailey Lauderdale's pet cat, Lulu. They rescued the pet from the smoky home and brought him to safety.
"I'm just so thankful that my cat is okay," said Lauderdale. "Thank you, Lulu and the firefighters for saving him and I couldn't be more thankful about my cat."
According to Papasergia, the fire was started after food on the stove caught fire. The blaze caused about $10,000 in damage.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.