Job Fest series begins in Kern County; Job Fest offers several fairs throughout county
Kern County unemployment is at 14.1 percent
Last Updated: 258 days ago
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Connecting job seekers with employers was a goal at today's jobfest in Shafter.
The 2013 job fest is a series of job fairs hosted by the Kern County Department of Human Services.
It targets some of the communities in the county with the highest unemployment.
Hundreds of job seekers showed up at today's event, ready to interview with dozens of potential employers.
Brand Evans, a Program Director with the department, said those looking for work need to stay patient and persistent.
"Getting a job is not easy," said Evans. "There is a lot of competition in a down economy. There is a lot of people applying for jobs that otherwise they wouldn't and so really just have to stick with it."
There are three more job fairs coming up in the next month and then two more are still in planning stages for May.
- Taft JobFest -- Wednesday, April 3rd -- Taft Veterans Memorial Building, 218 Taylor Street in Taft --9:00 am until Noon.
- Lamont JobFest --Wednesday, April 17th- David Head Center, 10300 San Diego St.-- from 9:00am to Noon
- Ridgecrest JobFest -- Friday, April 26th -- SpringHill Suites Marriott, 113 East Sydor Aveunue in Ridgecrest -- 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- Bakersfield JobFest which will take place on Tuesday May 14th. More details will be provided as plans are put into place.
- Lake Isabella JobFest -- Wednesday, May 15th. More details will be provided as plans are put into place.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.