Lamont gas line leaked after struck by resident digging
Last Updated: 66 days ago
LAMONT, Calif. - A gas line erupted in Lamont on the 10300 block of Tatum Street Monday morning.
Ten buildings were evacuated.
A resident was digging a hole for a post and struck a gas line, according to Kern County Fire Department officials.
At approximately 9:15 am the Kern County Fire Department responded to the report, officials said.
Upon arrival firefighters found gas leaking from an unknown size pipe caused from a resident digging a post hole, officials said.
"We would like to remind all residents to call 811 prior to digging in your area to make sure you don't have a gas line that you may interrupt," said Brett Grassi of the Kern County Fire Department.
Firefighters evacuated 10 structures in the area as a precaution due to the hazards associated with the gas leak, officials said.
Fire crews will remain on scene until The Gas Company personnel arrive on scene to mitigate the hazard, officials said.
Like 23ABC’s Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/23ABCBakersfield
Download our 23ABC mobile and tablet app to stay up-to-date with this developing story.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.