BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Community Action Partnership of Kern is giving away free emergency food boxes from the state to people who are underemployed or jobless because of the drought.
In May 7,000 boxes were handed out, and that number has grown exponentially in the past two months. In July 16,000 boxes were given out, according to CAPK.
People are concerned, asking are the boxes set in the hands of those who really need it? Ken White with CAPK told us the people who go out to get the boxes are hungry and if they're willing to wait in 100 plus temperatures, then that's reason enough.
The program has already burned through two phases, each allotted 31,000 boxes to be handed out. One volunteer says the boxes are meant for everyone.
"Actually our PG&E is going up and our water bill is going up so it's actually for everybody," Judy Coronado said.
To keep track of the families using the program, CAPK has a simple form people fill out that contains their name, address and how many people live in their household.
In return people get a box of food that can last a family of four up to five days. "They're nutritionally sound, balanced non-perishable boxes," White said.
White said phase two boxes will most likely not last through the end of August. "Kern county is one of the hardest hit counties by the drought in California," White said.
White said the next step is up in the air but hopes there will be a phase three.
If you have been affected by the drought, there are locations for more food box pickup throughout the week.
Gaming marathon for a cause
Gamers of all kinds came together at California State University Bakersfield to raise money for sick children Saturday.
Two arrested for alleged stealing of thousands
Thousands of dollars worth of stolen property have been found inside a south Bakersfield home and the home owners now face charges, according…
Church helps families celebrate Halloween
Hundreds of pumpkins, big and small are now available to get people in that Halloween spirit.
Protocols protect Kern residents from gas leak
Thanks to protocols in place, kids are in their parents arms and residents are safe.