New drought assistance program may relieve paying rent for some

Visit America's Job Center Officers in Kern County

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Water may not be flowing, but assistance is. 

A new program geared toward helping Kern County residents affected by the drought has generated funds that will go toward paying the rent and requited utilities.

But the program, known as the Drought Housing Rental Subsidies Program, is only available to families who meet certain criteria.

If you are interested, you must prove: 

  • You are a Kern County resident renting a home or apartment
  • Unemployment, or show that your annual household income sits below the Federal Poverty Level

Assistance is only available for up to 60 days, so organizers urge anyone who think might be available to apply as soon as possible. 

Print this article Back to Top

Stay Connected Wherever You Are