Report: One Bakersfield Fire Department firefighter injured while fighting house fire
One family displaced
Last Updated: 99 days ago
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - A city firefighter was injured while fighting a basement fire this morning in Bakersfield.
At about 8:30 a.m., a fire crew with the Bakersfield Fire Department went to a house on Garnsey regarding a fire.
Fire was seen coming from the home when crews arrived, officials said.
Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire in about 19 minutes, protecting a majority of the first floor and the entire second floor. The house received smoke damage to both floors, fire officials said. Damage was estimated at about $40,000, fire officials said.
The fire was later found to have started near the water heater in the basement that had extended to ta first floor closet through the wall studs. The cause of the fire is due to faulty water heater piping.
One family was displaced because of the house fire.
According to officials, one firefighter was injured, but does not suffer life-threatening injuries. The firefighter possibly suffered smoke inhalation.
Like 23ABC’s Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/23ABCBakersfield
Download our 23ABC mobile and tablet app for all your local and national news coverage:
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.