BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Kern County Sheriff's department and the County Fire Arson unit are investigating a homemade explosive that injured four people on the 4th of July.
One of the victims was taken to the Grossman Burn Center at San Joaquin Community Hospital, while two others were transported to the Fresno Burn unit. A fourth person was treated and released.
23ABC has been uncovering details of the incident over the past few weeks.
The incident happened at a wedding reception being held on July 4th for Jim and Lisa Trino.
Trino tells 23ABC that the improvised explosive device had been set off several times that night without a problem. The celebration was held at a home on 40 acres of open land west of Bakersfield.
Trino said he has been setting off legal and illegal fireworks for more than 30 years, including the Acetylene bomb.
Acetylene is a highly flammable, unstable gas used predominantly in welding. In Trino's explosives, he pumps the gas into balloons, which he hangs from a metal pole in the middle of a field, before setting it off with some type of ignition source.
Trino was hanging a balloon when three of them exploded. Also injured in the blast were Russel Lester, Kris Brode and Bryan Walls.
Tuesday night, 23ABC learned that Lester and Walls are planning to take legal action against Trino. Attorney David K. Cohn is representing both men, but no papers have been filed yet.
Bio-Energy Day teaches students about careers
Students with an interest in science and technology received a hands-on lesson that is preparing them for the job force.
Partial solar eclipse to take place Thursday
The heavens will align as the Moon comes between the Sun and Earth to put on a dramatic show in the sky.
Bakersfield Police to add 15 new employees
Bakersfield City Council voted to approve a plan that will add more than a dozen new positions to the Bakersfield Police Department.
City leaders discuss BPD and memorial bricks
Bakersfield City leaders will weigh in on a plan to save those fading bricks in front of Rabobank Arena during Wednesday night's council meeting.