BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Officials with the Bakersfield Police Department and Kern County Sheriff's Department said they have caught the suspected east Bakersfield serial rapist.
Thirty-three-year-old Billy Ray Johnson was arrested on 21 felony charges, officials said.
Kern County District Attorney Lisa Green with Sheriff Donny Youngblood and Bakersfield Police Chief Greg Williamson held a press conference at 10 a.m. regarding the indictment.
Officials said they used DNA evidence to make an arrest in connection with the case.
Green said the cases span the dates of July 1, 2013 through August 19, 2013.
Green said they began surveying Johnson since the start of the suspected assaults and waited for further evidence to make the arrest.
Officials said Johnson was arrested in mid October on unrelated charges.
Johnson is being held on $5 million bail.
Police said Johnson is accused of breaking into homes early in the morning in the eastern region of Bakersfield, tying them up, sexually assaulting them, stealing their items, then leaving.
Here's a full list of his charges related to the case:
1. ASSAULT W/INTENT TO COMMIT FORCIBLE RAPE ON PERSON UNDER 18 YRS.
2. ASSAULT WITH SEMI-AUTOMATIC FIREARM ON PERSON
3. ROBBERY 1ST DEGREE: INHABITED/HOUSE/TRAILER COACH
4. BURGLARY:FIRST DEGREE
5. POSSESSION OF FIREARM BY A FELON (OLD CODE 12021(A)(1)
6. RAPE BY FORCE/FEAR/ETC
7. RAPE BY FORCE/FEAR/ETC
8. RAPE BY FORCE/FEAR/ETC
9. RAPE BY FORCE/FEAR/ETC
10. ROBBERY 1ST DEGREE: INHABITED/HOUSE/TRAILER COACH
11. BURGLARY:FIRST DEGREE
12. LEWD AND LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH CHILD UNDER 14 W/FORCE/ETC
13. FALSE IMPRISONMENT W/ VIOLENCE
14. FALSE IMPRISONMENT W/ VIOLENCE
15. RAPE BY FORCE/FEAR/ETC
16. SEXUAL PENETRATION WITH FORCE/ETC
17. ROBBERY 1ST DEGREE: INHABITED/HOUSE/TRAILER COACH
18. BURGLARY:FIRST DEGREE
19. FALSE IMPRISONMENT W/ VIOLENCE
20. POSSESSION OF FIREARM BY A FELON (OLD CODE 12021(A)(1)
21. RAPE BY FORCE/FEAR/ETC