One TSA officer is dead after shooting at LAX

Report: 2 others shot; shooter in-custody

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - A suspect possibly armed with an assault rifle opened fire inside Terminal 3 at Los Angeles International Friday, wounding several people and killing a security agent before being shot and taken into custody, according to ABC News.

The gunfire erupted around 9:30 a.m. inside the terminal that houses airlines such as Allegiant Air, Frontier, Spirit, Virgin America and JetBlue.

It was unclear how many people were struck by gunfire, although initial reports indicated that at least three people had been wounded, including a Transportation Security Administration agent who was shot in a leg. ABC News reported that a TSA agent was killed in the gunfire.

The conditions of the other victims were not immediately known.

The gunman was wounded and taken into custody. His condition was also unknown. Police reports from the scene indicated a second suspect was arrested near Terminal 2, but that person's connection to the shooting was unclear.

Century Boulevard was closed off leading into the airport, blocking all traffic into LAX, and motorists were advised to avoid the area. Traffic was at a standstill on streets heading toward the airport. Freeway exits near the airport were also closed.

According to multiple reports, a suspect walked into the terminal and opened fire.

One witness told the Los Angeles Times that a young white male was walking calmly through the terminal firing a rifle-type weapon, which some media outlets reported was an AR-15 assault rifle. Another witness told KNX radio that people began scrambling to evacuate the terminal when the shots rang out. She said some people were directed out through emergency exits onto the tarmac until they were picked up by buses and taken to another terminal.

Download our 23ABC mobile and tablet app to stay up-to-date with this developing story.

iPhone -    

Android -  

iPad -    

Kindle -

Windows 8 -


Terminal 3 was evacuated, and police were continuing to search the terminal to ensure there were no other suspects or additional victims, according to LAPD Officer Gregory Baek. Scores of law enforcement officers were
at the airport, and the LAPD was placed on a citywide tactical alert. Mayor Eric Garcetti and LAPD Chief Charlie Beck arrived at the airport around 10:30 a.m.

Paramedics set up a triage area outside the terminal to treat the wounded.

A ground stop was issued for the airport, meaning planes around the country bound for LAX were being held on the ground.

Unconfirmed reports indicated that police were investigating some suspicious packages found at the airport in the wake of the shooting, possibly including a box of ammunition.

View live stream on mobile devices -

Print this article Back to Top