LOOMIS, Calif. (AP) -
The state has recommended that a woman who served poisonous mushrooms to residents of an elder care facility be banned for life from working in licensed homes in the future.
A report issued Thursday by the Department of Social Services says Lilia Tirdea of Citrus Heights had been told by the home's owner to serve only store-bought food.
Tirdea told investigators she did not know the mushrooms she found growing in the backyard of Golden Age Villa in Loomis were poisonous. Four people died, and Tirdea and another resident fell ill after eating soup she made from the fungi.
Tirdea could not immediately be reached for comment. The report says she still is ill and hasn't returned to work since the Nov. 8 incident.
Tirdea can appeal the department's decision.