The family of a freelance journalist who disappeared while covering the war in Syria plans to travel to Beirut to work for his release.
Austin Tice's father, Marc Tice, said in a statement Thursday the family plans to travel to Beirut "soon." Tice declined to elaborate on the timeline during a phone conversation from Houston, Texas. Tice says he wants the family "complete" when they celebrate Thanksgiving later this month.
The 31-year-old former Marine went missing in August. He had been one of a few journalists to report from Damascus. Marc Tice says his last contact with his son was on Aug. 12.
A video clip posted online in early October showed Tice alive and being held by gunmen. It has been the only sign of Tice since his disappearance.