Conflicting reports about Boston suspect
Breakthrough came from anaylsis of video
Last Updated: 232 days ago
WASHINGTON - A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation says a suspect has been taken into custody in the Boston Marathon bombings, but now the Boston Police Department is saying this isn't true.
Originally, the Associated Press said an official spoke to them on condition of anonymity Wednesday. The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation.
The official says the suspect is expected in federal court in Boston.
Law enforcement agencies had earlier pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 170 on Monday.
Complete Coverage: Boston Marathon Bombing
Download 23ABC tablet/mobile app to stay up-to-date with this story.
• iPhone - http://bit.ly/23ABCiPhone
• Android - http://bit.ly/23ABCAndroid
• iPad - http://bit.ly/23ABCiPad
• Kindle - http://bit.ly/23ABCKindle
Investigators circulated information about the bombs, which involved kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and other lethal shrapnel. But the FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.
According to CNN, the breakthrough came from analysis of video from a department store near the site of the second explosion. Video from a Boston television station also contributed to the progress, said the source, who declined to be more specific but called it a significant development.
On Monday, April 15, two bombs exploded in the packed streets near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing three people and injuring 183 in a terrifying scene of shattered glass, bloodstained pavement and severed limbs, authorities said.
Download the 23ABC mobile/tablet app for updated information.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.