UK police: 3 more suspects arrested in Woolwich soldier killing

London (CNN) -  

Three more people were arrested Saturday in connection with this week's grisly killing of British soldier Lee Rigby, police said.

 

The men were being held on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder, the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

 

Police did not detail how they were allegedly tied to the killing nor did they release their identities, saying only that the men -- ages 21, 24 and 28 -- were arrested by detectives from the Counter Terrorism Command and taken to a south London police station.

 

Police said a Taser was used on two of the men, who "did not require hospital treatment."

 

Police also were carrying out search warrants at four residential addresses associated with the three men, the statement said.

 

The brutal slaying Wednesday of Rigby near the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich, a working-class neighborhood in southeast London, shocked people across the United Kingdom.

 

One of the two suspects arrested at the scene approached a man filming the scene in the Woolwich neighborhood and suggested that Rigby had been targeted only "because Muslims are dying daily" at the hands of British troops such as him.

 

"We must fight them as they fight us. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth," he said in the video aired by CNN affiliate ITN.

 

Britain's armed forces have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. All its combat troops are due to leave Afghanistan by the end of 2014.

 

Another man, 29, who was arrested Thursday on suspicion of conspiracy to murder in connection with the Woolwich investigation was released on bail, police said Saturday.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments