Vehicle hits gas line, sparks explosion on Country Club Plaza
Last Updated: 290 days ago
MISSOURI - A vehicle struck a gas main outside of JJ's Restaurant on the Country Club Plaza, sparking an explosion that wounded at least nine people early Tuesday evening.
One witness reported seeing a large flame that originated near a backhoe working close to the restaurant.
Heavy smoke and flames engulfed the restaurant just after 6 p.m.
Fire and rescue crews were being pulled back around 6:40 p.m. after the smell of gas was detected. The flames were still raging as of 7 p.m.
Of the nine people injured, at least five are critically hurt.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.