5 CA cities makes 2024 Olympic bid list
35 US cities make list
Last Updated: 90 days ago
Nearly three dozen U.S. cities could be pondering the idea of playing host to the 2024 Olympic Games.
The United States Olympic Committee sent letters to the mayors of 35 American cities this week to gauge their interest in making a bid for the games, according to the New York Times.
The list includes 25 of the largest cities in the country, including New York.
In order to qualify to put in a bid the city has to meet certain requirements including having 45,000 hotel rooms available for the games.
The Olympic committee is set to choose the 2024 host city in 2017.
The cities that received the letter were:
- Arizona: Phoenix;
- California: San Jose; Los Angeles; S acramento; San Diego; San Francisco;
- Colorado: Denver; Washington;
- Florida: Jacksonville; Orlando; Miami;
- Georgia: Atlanta;
- Illinois: Chicago;
- Indiana: Indianapolis;
- Maryland: Baltimore;
- Michigan: Detroit;
- Minnesota: Minneapolis;
- Missouri: St. Louis;
- Nevada: Las Vegas;
- New York: New York; Boston; Rochester;
- North Carolina: Charlotte; Columbus, Ohio;
- Oklahoma: Tulsa ;
- Oregon: Portland;
- Pennsylvania: Philadelphia; Pittsburgh;
- Tennessee: Memphis; Nashville and Davidson County;
- Texas: Austin; Dallas; Houston; San Antonio;
- Washington: Seattle.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.