Sunny and stable weather returns, but only for the next two days

Sunny 70s on tap today, a little warmer tomorrow

We saw a high of 83 in Bakersfield Monday as the skies cleared and the weather stabilized.
A weak ridge of high pressure is building today as a deep trough digs over the Pacific. Afternoon highs will be in the upper 70s and lower 80s in the valley this afternoon with mostly sunny skies and moderate valley air quality. The Kern River Valley will be in the mid-70s with the upper 60s on tap for the mountain cities further south.
On Thursday a powerful low pressure system drags the trough on shore, tapping into tropical moisture to the south and bringing a promising chance of rain to Central California. The computer models disagree on timing and trajectory, so I'll be conservative and just call it a 20% chance of valley rain on Thursday as it will take all day to moisten up our atmosphere and overcome the rainshadow. I'll bump those rain chances to 30% for the valley on Friday, but for now it's looking pretty promising! For the mountains we'll call it a 30% chance of rain on Thursday and 40% on Friday. This tropical moisture is relatively warm, which means high rainfall potential and enough instability for the chance of thunderstorms.
Purchase our 23ABC Storm Shield mobile and tablet app to stay up-to-date with storm watches and warnings as they are issued: iTunes iOS - & Google Play -

We'll see brief clearing on Saturday, but there is another low pressure system trailing behind it, bringing a slight chance of rain as early as Sunday morning and lasting through Monday, which of course is Halloween. For now the computer models are predicting the bulk of the rain will stay north of Kern County, so don't worry about your trick-or-treating plans for now. However, that second system will drag down some cold Alaskan air, so for the holiday expect a cool breeze and a drop in temperatures that look to leave us in the upper 60s in the valley, lower 60s in the Kern River Valley and just the 50s in Tehachapi and Frazier Park.

Find me on social media and let me know what you think about this weather!

Print this article Back to Top

Stay Connected Wherever You Are