Father Accused Of Raping, Trying To Kill Daughter

Sheriff Says Girl Was Raped, Left For Dead

Sheriff Donny Youngblood with the Kern County Sheriff's Department spoke at a press conference Friday and detailed what happened to an 8-year-old girl (23ABC is withholding her name) before she was found in a dirt lot Wednesday morning.

The last time the girl was seen, her family was putting her to bed at 9 p.m. Tuesday at its home on Loch Lomond Drive. But when her stepmom checked on her around 3:45 a.m., she was gone.

"It just started out she was missing; then it was abducted," said David Jones, the girl's grandfather. "Then it was just a lot of crying and stuff, and it was hard to understand what they were saying."

Youngblood said that the girl's father, 29-year-old Ray Coriell, left for work Wednesday morning around 3:45 a.m.

According to the 911 tape obtained by 23ABC, the girl's stepmother would turn back on the alarm after her husband left the house.

911 Call (Edited) - 8-Year-Old Missing Girl Found 9 Miles From Home

Afterwards she would go and check on all of her children, she said in the 911 tape.

While checking on the children, she noticed the 8-year-old missing.


  • Father Of Girl Who Went Missing Arrested After Standoff
  • 8-Year-Old Missing Girl Found 9 Miles From Home
  • The girl was found seven hours later, when construction crews saw her wandering barefoot with a bruise on her face nine miles away on Eucalyptus Drive in East Bakersfield.

    Youngblood said that the girl was found with a black eye and bruising to the front and back of her head. She also had blood in her eye and was sexually assaulted.

    Youngblood said that the girl was left for dead in a dirt lot.

    Deputies said they tracked Coriell's movements through his cell phone and found that he went in the opposite direction from where he worked.

    Coriell barricaded himself in the home on Loch Lomond Thursday after texting his wife and saying that he was emotionally distraught over the disappearance of his daughter.

    Coriell's wife then called the sheriff's department regarding the state of her husband.

    Deputies along with the sheriff's SWAT team arrived and said that they knew there were guns in the home because of a recent sweep that was conducted while searching for the girl on Wednesday.

    The standoff lasted for about seven hours ultimately ending with Ray Coriell surrendering.

    Coriell was taken into custody without incident. He was arrested on the charges of kidnapping with rape, kidnapping with intent to commit rape, sexual intercourse with a child under 10 years of age, and attempted murder, KCSD officials said.

    23ABC spoke with the girl's mother, Veronica Coriell, and she said that she's known Ray for almost her whole life and would never suspect something like this from him.

    "I really don't know what to believe right now," Veronica Coriell said. "Nobody has really told us anything. They only thing we've heard is what we heard on the news."

    When asked if Veronica Coriell has seen her daughter, she responded saying, "No. They won't let anyone see her right now."

    She told 23ABC in an emotional state that she wanted her daughter to know that everyone loves her and they can't wait to see her.

    Print this article Back to Top