McFarland Police Department Speaks About Officer Involved Shooting

McFarland Police Department Chief Greg Herrington said two officers were investigating a group that was allegedly keeping stolen vehicles and dismantling them on the 30,000 block of Elmo Highway in McFarland.

They noticed Randy Ferreira drive off the property and tried to pull him over but he refused and instead led officers on a pursuit from McFarland to Delano.

Herrington said Ferreira led officers through the streets, at some points driving over 70, mph.

“He drove his vehicle towards two other civilian vehicles and drove them off of the roadway. He also ran through two closed construction sites where the roads were closed. There were signs and barricades and he drove through it, nearly missing a group of construction workers that had to run and dive out of the way to prevent being hit,” said Herrington.

Once in Delano the suspect ran out of the black truck and went into another vehicle that didn't belong to him.

“He was reaching under the seats and keeping his back turned towards the officers and being crouched down. The officers did not know whether he had a weapon nor was he following any directions to turn around and surrender,” said Herrington.

That's when the first shot was fired by officer Alberto Carillo but Ferreira wasn't hit and he continued running.

He was chased by a California Highway Patrol officer who fell and got blood on her upper body.

“She scarred her face, she scarred her hands and she had blood all over her shirt. Sgt. Mike Weber, not being at the first scene where officer Carillo shot, didn't know who fired the shot, so he (Weber) believed that the female officer was shot,” said Herrington.

Sgt. Mike Weber once again tried to get Ferreira to surrender and, in fearing for his life, he then shot two rounds hitting Ferreria both times.

Some people claim that Ferreria shouldn't have been shot because he had his hands up but Herrington said that's not the case.

“From the investigation and the injuries that Mr. Ferrerira had suffered, the injuries are consistent with the fact that his arms were not above his head,” said Herrington.

Ferrerira was released from the hospital yesterday and was booked into Kern County Jail.

There were no weapons found on Ferreria.

The District Attorney's office is also investigating the shooting.

Both officers involved are on paid administrative leave.

Print this article Back to Top