NewsCovering Kern County


Fire department warns about the safety surrounding space heaters

Posted at 5:34 PM, Dec 01, 2017
and last updated 2017-12-01 20:34:29-05

The National Fire Protection Association estimates from 2009 to 2013, space heaters were responsible for nearly 400 deaths from 22,000 fires.

“Portable heaters are actually a second leading cause of home fires second only to cooking fires," said John Frando with the Bakersfield Fire Department. 

In a photograph shared by the Oregon fire department on Facebook, it shows a charred and melted power strip. 

Bakersfield Fire Department gives practical ways to keep your home and family safe during these cold winter months. “You have to keep combustibles away from the heater , plugging it directly into the wall outlet , keeping it out of traffic areas so it doesn’t get knocked over," said Frando.

And with many families putting up Christmas lights both inside and outside the home experts say don't overload outlets and be mindful of the type of extension cords and lights you use. “If you’re gonna plug it directly into the outlet you don’t wanna plug other things into that same outlet because that could cause that circuit to heat up and maybe cause a fire within your wall or actually make your circuit breaker pop," said Frando.

 Frando also adds that there are no other alternatives to heating your home without raising the thermostat and your bill, just make sure to do everything safely.