BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Most interviews start the moment you park to the moment you leave. The interview is crucial, and everyone goes through them to get the job of their dream. Our local experts share some interview do's and dont's so you can win over your interviewers.
All our local experts said it's important to be authentically yourself when you are in the interview. People want to see who you are and if you will be a good fit for the company.
· Never chew gum!
· When you walk in and give a friendly good firm handshake and look them in the eyes with a smile
· Keep your phone off. Our experts suggest leaving your phone in the car.
The way you answer questions is significant. Look your interviewer in the eye when you are answering, if you look down, up or the side when initially answering the interview, it will seem like you are lying. You can look around when you are explaining something, but for the first sentence look your interviewer in the eye.
If you have more than one interviewer, always start with the person who asked you the question. While you answer, look around the room and acknowledge everyone during your answer and then end with the person who originally asked you the question. You can answer left to right or right to left, whichever works best for you.
If your an interviewer is looking to the side, they might not be able to hear you so speak up a little. If your interviewer is looking down or making notes, don't take it personally they are still paying attention but could be planning for a follow-up question.
"How to Get the Job" local experts:
· Suki Mahal, Recruiting Specialist, Express Employment Professionals
· Laura Hill, CEO, Pinnacle Recruitment Services
· Bob Meadows, Business Development Director, City of Shafter
· Arleana Waller, Founder, ShePower Leadership Academy
· Cheryl Scott, Executive Director, Kern Economic Development Foundation