Lorenzo Hernandez sentenced to 26 years to life for 2011 fatal stabbing
The man convicted of stabbing someone to death on a GET bus was sentenced today.
24-year-old Lorenzo Hernandez was stabbed in the chest while riding the get bus in August 2011.
Deputies began canvassing the area for the suspect who left the bus on foot.
Sheriff’s homicide detectives began their investigation and spoke with witnesses who were on the bus at the time of the stabbing.
Employees from GET assisted detectives in the investigation and were able to quickly obtain video surveillance from the recording system on the bus.
The suspect was eventually identified as 33-year-old Richard Joseph Gomez, deputies said.
He was later arrested and detectives said they also located the knife they believed was used in the killing.
This morning he was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison with one additional year for using a knife.
During sentencing, Judge Gary T. Friedman said the crime a “cold, cowardly and senseless attack.”
Lillian Marie Castellon, Hernandez’ mother, told 23ABC that while she is happy that justice has been served, it does not ease the pain of losing her son.
A mountain lion was caught on camera roaming the streets of Tehachapi as recently as this weekend.
Michael Richert is living in Bakersfield now, but 46 years ago, he was in a community not far from the famed Hollywood Hills.
UPDATE (Nov. 20, 6:11 p.m.): PG&E reported the outage has been nearly completely restored, after more than 1600 people lost power Monday night.
The man arrested near Taft Highway after disappearing with a two-month-old boy earlier this month was expected in front of a Los Angeles…