BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KERO) — On Tuesday, the Bakersfield City School District announced in a letter to its staff that it was planning on returning to in-person education on March 15th, with staff returning on March 10th.
In the letter from Superintendent Doc Ervin, it stated "As the District anticipates an improvement in county health per local guidance, our goal is to further develop our Return to School Plan so we can effectively and smoothly transition our staff and students back into the classroom."
However, the letter emphasized that BCSD would return to in-person education only "if it is safe to do so."
The plan is as follows:
- Wednesday, March 10, 2021 - All self-contained staff return to worksite
- Monday, March 15, 2021 - In-person instruction begins*
- Wednesday, March 17, 2021 - All PK-2 staff return to worksite
- Monday, March 22, 2021 - In-person instruction begins - grades PK-2
- Friday, March 19, 2021 - All 3-6 staff return to worksite
- Wednesday, March 24, 2021 - In-person instruction begins - grades 3-6
- Grades 7-8 are unable to open until the county moves into “Red” Tier
BCSD said it would continue to monitor local health updates and make changes accordingly.