KCSO investigating deadly shooting in Oildale

Posted at 9:15 PM, May 22, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-23 20:55:50-04

UPDATE (May 23, 2017 5:32 p.m.): Family has identified 35-year-old Dustin Johnson as the man who was shot and killed in Oildale Monday night. 

There are conflicting stories about what led up to the shooting. 

The family of the shooter and the family of the victim agree that the entire incident started over a Facebook feud. 

They said the feud escalated from Facebook to text messages, but from there each side has their own story. 

Johnson's family said there was a prearranged fight between Johnson and a family acquaintance. 

George Reed, Johnson's stepdad, said the two agreed to meet at the Big Lots parking lot on Olive Drive near Roberts Lane. Reed said once they got there, the family acquaintance told them to go to the apartments across the street from Big Lots instead.

"They told him to come over because there's grass, you know, so they could fight on the grass and it never got to that point," said Reed. 

Reed said he and Johnson drove over to the apartments and Johnson got out of the car and started walking toward where they were supposed to fight. 

Reed said Dustin hadn't even made it all the way to the area when Raymond Rankin lifted up his shotgun from his side and shot Johnson. 

"When Dustin got within like ten feet from him he lifted the shotgun up from his side and shot him," said Reed. 

Reed said they then threatened to shoot him too if he came any closer, so Reed back up and called his family and police. 

Reed said he doesn't know why anyone would want to hurt Johnson.

"Dustin was a good kid," said Reed. 

However, the daughter of Raymond Rankin, Tara Rankin, said that's not the case at all. 

She said Johnson was the aggressor. She said he started the feud on Facebook and escalated it to text messages. 

Tara Rankin said there was never a pre-planned fight. Instead, she said Johnson was showing up at places nearby and texting the family acquaintance to come meet him so they could fight. 

She said they text Johnson back and told him they weren't going anywhere. 

She said that's when he, his stepdad, his mom, his girlfriend and his brother showed up at the apartments. 

She said Johnson kept walking down toward them, shouting threats the entire way. 

That's when she said Raymond Rankin lifted his shotgun up and told him not to come any closer because he'll shoot. 

She said Johnson was within 10 to 15 feet and was motioning like he had a knife in his hand. She said he then started to charge toward Raymond Rankin and that's when he pulled the trigger. 

Johnson was rushed to the hospital where he later died. 

Raymond Rankin was taken into custody and then later released. 

Tara Rankin said she believes the entire thing was caught on surveillance camera. 

23ABC tried to obtain a copy, but was unsuccessful. 

KCSO officials would not comment on whether or not a knife was found. They said they will not be commenting further about the incident until the investigation is complete. 



UPDATE (May 23, 2017 10:30 a.m.): Family members and friends identify the victim as Dustin Johnson.


New details from a deadly shooting in Oildale Monday night, the man who was taken into custody has been released.

Homicide detectives said 62-year-old Raymond Rankin was initially taken into custody.

He was interviewed early this morning and released pending further investigation.

Deputies were called to an apartment complex on Olive Drive in Oildale around 8:00 p.m. Monday to reports of a shooting.

Officials said Rankin was found holding a shotgun and that he put it down when ordered to by deputies.

They found a 35-year-old man shot once in the upper body.

The victim was taken to Kern Medical and underwent surgery. Officials confirmed the victim died around 1:00 a.m.

We still have no official confirmation of the identity of the person who was shot.

Family members of Rankin told 23ABC overnight that he fired the shotgun in self defense.