Gym chain 24 Hour Fitness announced its plans for reopening, including staffing reductions to meet the health and safety guidelines amid COVID-19.
The company said as it works to adjust to new requirements, it is reevaluating staffing needs and the overall company’s club footprint. This includes a focused set of employee reductions to align with the current and future needs of the business.
The company said its goal is to reposition 24 Hour Fitness to create a sustainable, long-term business for our team members and club members.
“These are painful decisions and we do not make them lightly,” said Tony Ueber, CEO, 24 Hour Fitness. We thank our dedicated, passionate team members for their contributions and impact they have had on helping to change lives every day through fitness.”
24 Hour Fitness clubs reopened recently in Dallas and Houston with the next slate of clubs scheduled to reopen in the coming weeks in Hawaii, Miami and Austin, among other markets including parts of the East Coast and California.
24 Hour Fitness expects nearly 50 percent of its club portfolio to be reopened in June, with the remaining clubs to be reopened by late July and early August.
24 Hour Fitness has put in place a comprehensive program to ensure a healthy and safe club environment for team and club members:
· Touch-free check in can now be accomplished in the club through the 24 Hour Fitness free 24GO® personalized fitness app just by using your phone and the 24GO app
· Social distancing will be promoted throughout clubs with signage, spacing indicators and more. This may include temporary closures of amenities that cannot be used under social distancing guidelines, and decommissioning select cardio and strength equipment throughout the club to ensure proper spacing
· Signage at the club exterior and throughout the club’s interior to help remind members and team members of important safety protocols
· Personal training and studio classes may meet in carefully chosen club areas where members can safely maintain social distancing
· Clubs will be open from 5:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. daily
· Clubs will initially be open for 60 minute sessions throughout the day (with reservations to be made one day in advance through the 24GO app). Each workout session is followed by a 30 minute closure for club cleaning between sessions, in addition to already stringent cleaning procedures
· And, while some clubs are temporarily closed as well as after clubs are reopened, everyone is encouraged to utilize the 24GO app for a selection of over 1,500 workouts that can be conducted anywhere with or without equipment and based on the time you have available. The brand also recently launched 24GO LIVE, the new 24/7 workout experience broadcast on the 24 Hour Fitness YouTube Channel, among other virtual fitness solutions.
· Further information about the reopening of 24 Hour Fitness clubs and the refreshed post-COVID-19 club experience can be found by visiting 24hourfitness.com and the club market reopening page.