BAKERSFIELD COLLEGE ANNOUNCED ITS COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY, scheduled for May — Bakersfield College announced its commencement ceremony, scheduled for May, has been postponed amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The school issued the following statement regarding the ceremony: "Bakersfield College will not be holding its commencement ceremony at Memorial Stadium in May 2020. We are exploring other options including virtual graduation or postponement and will do our due diligence to consider all of our options in the interest of students’ health and the health of our community while honoring the importance of this major event in our student’s lives. Stay Tuned."
On Monday BC announced it had already moved most of its courses to a fully online environment, as well as student support services. Employees are being supported to maximize social distancing and work from remote locations to support students at a distance.
Along with BC's commencement ceremony, the following college-wide events have also been canceled:
- March 18, 2020: Women in Leadership Panel
- March 19, 2020: HEAL Summit
- March 19, 2020: The Woman's Hour - The Great Fight to Win the Vote
- March 25, 2020: The Liberty Institute Presents Democracy Dialogues' Oil (In)Equality?
- March 25, 2020: Civic Engagement, Voting and the Census Event.
- March 30, 2020: Easel Event: A Suffragette
- April 1, 2020: Industrial Technology and Transporation Career Expo
- April 8, 2020: Active Shooter Drill
- April 18, 2020: Garden Fest
- April 18, 2020: MESA Pre-MED & STEM Conference
- April 24, 2020: Concept Building Conference
- All remaining Gadfly Cafes
- Art, Architecture, and Archetypes
- Deep Cuts and Conversations
- All remaining Renegade Round Tables
For a list of other events canceled at BC, click here.