Unemployed in California will receive additional unemployment assistance from the federal government but it still remains unclear when the money will be available.
On Saturday, the state’s Employment Development Department (EDD) announced the federal government approved its application for the Lost Wages Assistance program. The money is part of an executive order that President Donald Trump signed earlier this month.
Additional funds will be available for a limited period of time, a minimum of three weeks. To qualify for the extra funds, people must receive at least $100 per week in benefits from EDD and certify that they are unemployed or partially unemployed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
EDD will also give retroactive pay unemployment benefits dating back to August 1st.
California secures $4.5 billion for Lost Wages Assistance Program. Individuals who are currently eligible to receive at least $100 per week in unemployment benefits may qualify for an additional $300 weekly supplement.https://t.co/LIqIilyBMP #PressRelease #EDDNews— EDD (@CA_EDD) August 22, 2020
It is not clear when people will actually get the money. In a statement, EDD said it “will provide more information on this approved program as it becomes available.” The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), who approved the funding said it “will work with California Governor Gavin Newsom to implement a system to make this funding available to California residents.”