BAKERSFIELD, Calif. —
Kroger and Foods Co. today announced it will pay a "Hero Bonus" of $2 premium above the base rate pay for hourly employees including frontline grocery, supply chain, manufacturing, pharmacy and call center associates. The bonus will be applied to hours worked between March 29 and April 18, to be dispersed weekly.
“Our associates have displayed the true actions of a hero, working tirelessly on the frontlines to ensure everyone has access to affordable, fresh food and essentials during this national emergency,” said Rodney McMullen, Kroger’s chairman and CEO. “The Hero Bonus is just one more way we continue to convey our thanks and gratitude not only to our existing associates but also to the more than 30,000 new hires who have joined in the past two weeks and those who will soon join the Kroger Family of Companies.”
Kroger and Foods Co. has taken the following precautions to protect its staff and the community:
- Enhancing daily sanitation practices
- Supplying protective masks and gloves for employees
- Installing plexiglass partitions at check lanes, pharmacy and Starbucks registers
- Adding floor decals to promote social distancing
- Adjusting store hours
- Expanding pick up and delivery services
In addition to the Hero Bonus, Kroger and Foods Co. have taken additional steps to support associates during this time.
Kroger and Foods Co. has also made it a mission to uplift the community in various ways including:
- Establishing the Kroger Co. Zero Hunger/Zero Waste Foundation
- Donating food and funds to local food banks