BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Cal State University, Bakersfield announced they are making changes to their food services amid concerns over the coronavirus.
Though no coronavirus cases have been reported in Kern County or Bakersfield, CSUB said Aramark, its food service vendor, has put together a list of precautions, including:
- No longer stocking reusable cups, with signs at all stations
- The removal of salt and pepper shakers, which have been replaced with single-use packets
- All napkins have moved to a central location to minimize the spread of germs
- Placed timers at good stations to remind staff to wash their hands every 15 minutes
- Placed a timer at the salad bar to remind the attendant to change the utensils every 20 minutes
- Management is doing spot-check audits at least three times per day
- Replaced reusable plates with disposable plates at food stations until further notice
On Monday signs announcing the new changes appeared on several doors across the campus. The temporary restrictions are being placed on the use of refillable mugs at both the Starbucks on campus and all of its Aramak operated facilities including the Runner Cafe, Runner Express and Walters.
CSUB has also set up a resource page on its website to keep students informed on the status of the virus.