Bakersfield Planning Commission seeks new member

Posted at 12:51 PM, Dec 06, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-06 15:51:17-05

The Bakersfield Planning Commission is looking for a new member, after current commissioner Jeff Tkac resigned since he's headed to the Bakersfield City Council.

Tkac unseated current councilmember Harold Hanson in the November general election, winning 52 percent of the vote compared to Hanson's 25 percent.

As a result of his new post on the council, Tkac will now need to be replaced on the Planning Commission.


The Bakersfield City Council is recruiting an individual to serve a four (4) year term on the Planning Commission, due to the resignation of Jeffrey Tkac (Ward 6) whose term expires on April 30, 2020.
The Planning Commission maintains and interprets the City's General Plan, and recommends methods of implementation. It maintains the City's zoning ordinance and makes recommendations for improvement; reviews the City's Capital Improvement Plan for consistency with the General Plan; reviews and approves subdivisions and parcel maps; and, conducts hearings on all of the above items and on appeals of site plan reviews.
The Planning Commissioner will be nominated by the Councilmember of Ward 6, and will be appointed by the full Council. Applicants must be a resident of the City throughout their term. Applicants are advised that a Statement of Economic Interests (F.P.P.C. Form 700) and Health & Safety Code, Section #33130, California Redevelopment Law Disclosure Statement will be required upon assuming office. Pursuant to State law, any person newly appointed shall successfully complete a course in ethics training approved by the Fair Political Practices Commission and the Attorney General. Each member is required to complete this training every two years.
Applications are available at the City Clerk's Office, City Hall North, 1600 Truxtun Avenue, or at the City website,, and should be returned by 5:00 p.m. Thursday, January 12, 2017.
For further information and assistance regarding this appointment, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at (661) 326-3767. Citizens interested in serving on the Planning Commission are encouraged to contact the City Councilmember regarding their interest and qualifications.