BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — It's that time of the year again, when the July 4th Community Celebration returns to the Park at River Walk! The event is put on by the City of Bakersfield and AEG plus our very own morning anchors Mike Hart and Danielle Kernkamp will be emceeing the event.
And you know what else will be there? Traffic!
The Bakersfield Police Department is reminding drivers that officers will be controlling select intersections and closing roads for the fireworks show on July 4th. Starting at 6 p.m., police will be controling the following intersections:
- Westbound Stockdale Highway at Calloway Drive /Old River Road
- Eastbound Stockdale Highway at Jewetta Avenue
- Northbound River Park Way at Stockdale Highway
- Northbound River Run Boulevard at Stockdale Highway
- Eastbound and Westbound River Run Boulevard at Buena Vista Road
- Southbound River Park Way at River Run Boulevard
According to the BPD, "Westbound traffic on Stockdale Highway at Calloway Drive, eastbound traffic on Stockdale Highway at Jewetta Avenue and northbound traffic on Buena Vista Road at Deer Peak Drive will be completely closed beginning at 8:30 p.m. and will remain closed until the fireworks show has concluded."
For public safety concerns, some closures may take place earlier than expected.
The BPD encourages the public to "plan ahead and arrive early if they wish to secure a parking spot."