BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Bakersfield Police are reminding the public that this is the prime season for package thieves. There's a few tips you should follow over the next few weeks to avoid becoming the victim of package theft.
- Sign up for delivery alerts so you know when your delivery is scheduled and when the package has been delivered.
- If you're not able to be home when a package will be delivered, ask a trustworthy neighbor to hold it for you.
- If possible, require a signature for all deliveries.
- Consider shipping packages to your place of work or use the ship to store option.
- Be a good neighbor, if you see a package on your neighbor's doorstep, reach out and ask if they would like you to hold it until they are home.
If you believe you've had any packages stolen, first double check with your neighbors to see if the package was accidentally left with them: Then, report the stolen package to local law enforcement. Keep in mind, posting to the Nextdoor app or other social media is not a form of reporting.