BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Bakersfield is re-implementing its outreach campaign “Don’t Create a Monster – Think Before You Flush” the helps the city mitigate the problem of clogged sewer lines. Soon, billboards will be put up to remind residents about things that should not be flushed.
The campaigns main aim is to remind the city that the only thing that should be flushed, is toilet paper.
Some personal hygiene products say they are flushable, but this isn't true, these items do not break down like toilet paper does and as a result causes damage to the sewer lines.
Do not flush the following items:
- cotton swabs
- dental floss
- cat litter
- feminine hygiene products
- paper towels
- personal hygiene wipes, even if they are labeled flushable
Some tips to keep your pipes clear:
- use baskets or strainers in sink drains to catch food scraps and other solids
- scrape grease and food scraps from plates, pots and pans, utensils and grills into the garbage
- keep fats oil and grease out of the drains
- catch animal fats in a can and put all food waste discards in the trash