California City Police arrest 24 for the week of May 29 to June 4

Posted at 10:50 AM, Jun 05, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-05 13:52:34-04

The California City Police Department arrested 15 people on suspected misdemeanors and nine people on suspected felonies from May 29 to June 4.

On May 30, 2017, officers responded to the 800 block of California City Blvd. for a call of a father holding his children at gunpoint.

Officers arrived and began calling into the house for all of the occupants to exit. Immediately they were met with uncooperative residents, including several teenagers.

As officers attempted to detain the father, the father who still had not been searched for weapons, pushed the officer. A struggle ensued. During the struggle, the father placed his hand around one of the officer’s neck. The father was later handcuffed and taken into custody.

On May 31, 2017, an officer conducted a bicycle stop on a subject for a vehicle code violation. As the officer was preparing to conduct a “pat down” search of him, the suspect attempted to place his hand in his pocket.

Believing the suspect was arming himself, the officer grabbed his hand to prevent him for going in his pocket. A struggle ensued, which resulted in the suspect punching the officer in the face and the officer defending himself.

While both were fighting in the dirt alongside the road, the officer managed to call for back up on his police radio. Throughout this entire struggle the suspect was adamant about reaching in his pocket.

Once back up officers arrived and were able to take the suspect into custody, it was discovered the suspect was reaching for suspected narcotics which he was attempting to discard. The officer sustained several abrasions on his legs, knees, wrist and hands.

Once the officer was treated at a local hospital, it was discovered the officer also suffered injuries to tendons on his hand.

On June 4, 2017, officers responded to the 8400 block of Tamarack regarding a small child walking in the middle of the street. Officers contacted the child and recognized the child suffered from a mental disability.

A Nixle alert was immediately sent out as officers simultaneously made flyers and went door to door searching for the child’s parents. Shortly after the Nixle was sent out, the police department received a call from the mother. The child and mother were reunited.