— Brian Johnson (@BrianABC30) August 24, 2016
- Size: 22,739 acres (1,216 acre increase from last evening)
- Fire Start: August 16, 2016
- Percent Contained: 10 percent
- Location: West of Kernville, Calif.
- Total Personnel: 2,244
- Cause: Under investigation
- Resources: 35 hand crews, 193 engines, 15 aircraft, 25 dozers, 33 water tenders
- Cost to Date: $20.3 million
Weather and Fire Behavior:
Drier weather will move into the region. Temperatures will be warmer today and the relative humidity will decrease. Winds will mainly be light in the morning, becoming gusty in the afternoon with gusts up to 30 mph over ridges and through the Kern River canyon. Hot, dry conditions are expected for several days, leading to longer burn periods and increased fire activity.
National Forest Closures:
The Sequoia National Forest has issued area, road and trail closures for the area affected by the Cedar Fire (Order No. 0513-16-18). General boundaries of the closure: south of Highway 50, west of Highway 99, north of Sawmill Road, and east of the western Forest boundary. The official closure and a map are posted at inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4964.
Kern County Evacuations and Closures: The following areas remain under a recommended evacuation order. This is because the fire is an imminent threat and people are strongly advised to leave and seek shelter away from the fire area.
- Pala Ranches
- Homestead Tract
- Residences north of Anchorage Road, including Earl Pascoe Road
- Alta Sierra
- Slick Rock
- Shirley Meadows
The area north of Highway 155 and west of Wofford Boulevard is under a precautionary evacuation order, which means that the fire may become a threat in the near future. All residents are advised to be prepared to leave the area at a moment’s notice. No other parts of Wofford Heights, apart from those listed, are under any evacuation order.
The following roads are closed in Kern County:
- Highway 155 between Lakeside Drive and Miller Road.
- Miller Road and Lakeside Drive.
- Forest Highway 90 from Highway 155 to Portuguese Pass.
- Old State Road in Wofford Heights at its junction with Mountain Shadow Road.
Tulare County Evacuations and Closures:
The following communities in Tulare County are under a mandatory evacuation order:
- Pine Flat
- Pine Mountain
- Sugarloaf, including Sugarloaf Mountain Park and Sugarloaf Village
- California Hot Springs
- Panorama Heights
- McClenny Tract
- Spear Creek Mountain Homes
- White River Summer Homes
- Portuguese Meadow
- Balance Rock
- Poso Park
Tulare County has established the following road closures in response to the Cedar Fire:
- M-56 "Hot Springs Rd." is closed at M-109 "Old Stage Rd." near Fountain Springs into the evacuated areas around California Hot Springs.
- M-3 "White River Rd." is closed at Jack Ranch Road east into the evacuated areas around Posey and Panorama Heights.
- M-50 "Parker Pass Rd." is closed at Johnsondale for westbound traffic.
- M-50 "Parker Pass Rd." is closed at M-107 "Western Divide Hwy. aka Mountain Hwy. 90" into the evacuated areas around California Hot Springs.
- M-112 "Deer Creek Rd." is closed at Rd 296 into the evacuated areas around California Hot Springs.
- State Route 190 is open only by CHP escort between Coffee Camp and Wishon Dr. (east of Springville) due to the Tule Fire. Expect delays.