NewsCovering Kern County


Court docs: Trial of father on 'suicide mission' in MT pushed back

Posted at 10:36 AM, May 22, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-09 16:20:40-05

UPDATE (November 9, 2017 2:00 p.m.): Lloyd Barrus, the man suspected of allegedly gunning down a deputy in Montana back in May of 2017 was suppose to have his trial start on Monday, November 13, 2017. 

On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 the court pushed back the trial and vacated all hearings. A status conference is now set for January 19, 2018. 

Prosecutors did ask for the death penalty in the case against Barrus. 


The father and son who shot and killed a deputy in Montana were apparently on a "suicide mission" targeting law enforcement, according to court documents.

The Idaho State Journal, reported on the moments leading up to last week's shooting, where Broadwater County deputy Mason Moore was shot and killed in the line of duty. 

The details were found in the charging documents filed against Lloyd Barrus, who was last known to be living in Bakersfield. Barrus faces 16 felony counts of attempted deliberate homicide for shooting at officers during a multi-county chase. 


Documents show that Lloyd Barrus and his son Marshall talked about their anti-law enforcement views openly. 

Court documents show that the Barruses, along with Marshall's children and their mother had been staying on a campground. At one point, on May 16, Marshall was looking for his children and began firing guns on the campgrounds. 

He eventually found his children in a car with their mom. He broke out the rear window after they refused to open the door. He hit one of his children in the face after they refused to leave with Marshall and Lloyd on their "suicide mission."

Later that morning, with the Barruses on the road, they were followed by Moore on Highway 287. Moore followed them and then turned on his lights to pull them over. The Barruses did not pull over as speeds reached in excess of 100 mph. 

During the chase the Barruses fired shots at Moore's patrol car, hitting him. Moore's car came to a stop on the side of the road and he was in and out of consciousness. 

Documents show that after Moore's car was at a stop, the Barruses hit the patrol car with more bullets. Tire marks indicate that the SUV the two were in made a U-turn and went back to the patrol car. There were also footprints in the dirt near passenger side of Moore's patrol car. Documents show that the car was hit with 24 bullets. 

According to the Idaho State Journal, documents show that "investigators found approximately 20 expended rifle cartridge cases on the ground in front of and near the passenger side of Moore's patrol car" and another 10 cartridges were found on the highway. 

After shooting up Moore's patrol car, they led law enforcement on another chase. The Barruses ultimately got into a shootout with law enforcement where Marshall was shot in the head and Lloyd had a handgun shot out of his hand. 

Marshall was hospitalized, but later died. 

Lloyd Barrus is being held on more than $2 million bail.

Services for more are scheduled for Tuesday.