BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital of Bakersfield is offering stroke survivors the opportunity to be screened for possible qualification under Medicare Guidelines to receive rehabilitation services during a short-term stay at Encompass Health.
Screening appointments will take place May 20, from 10 a.m.to 2 p.m.
Screenings are free and by appointment only; availability is limited.
All screenings take place at Encompass Health Bakersfield Rehabilitation Hospital, 5001 Commerce Drive.
Most patients who qualify stay an average of two weeks before returning to their home setting.
Patients who have had a stroke in the past but still experience one or more of the following symptoms may qualify for the Second Chance Stroke Program:
• Residual weakness on one or both sides
• Deficits in swallowing
• Limited mobility or inability to walk greater than 20 feet
• Oral or written communication deficits
• Cognitive deficits from the stroke
• Trouble completing daily tasks such as bathing or getting dressed
• Frequent falls
• Increased weakness or decline in functionality, recently, especially if following an illness, infection or fall
Stroke patients who qualify for Encompass Health will also demonstrate a need for 24-hour nursing care and comprehensive medical management.
To sign up for a screening appointment Call Jona Williams, (661) 323-5500 ext. 4004.
Bring copies of your Medicare card or other proof of other insurance and a list of current medications.