News

Actions

5 displaced following Lake Isabella house fire

KERO-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 9:14 AM, Jan 24, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-24 12:20:15-05

Kern County Fire officials said at around 1:15 AM Sunday morning, they  received a call for a structure fire in the 8500 block of Deerbrosh Ave.

KCFD says their crew from Lake Isabella observed smoke and flames as they left their station and a reinforced response was initiated. 

The first engine arrived on scene of a mobile home, fully involved in flames with five vehicles burning and two outbuildings on fire.

KCFD officials said the home was not equipped with smoke alarms, but, fortunately, one of the residents had been awakened by the fire and had alerted the other four family members and all residents had evacuated the home. 

KC Fire crews deployed hose lines to extinguish the fire and protect exposures.  With a quick response, the fire was extinguished within an hour, but the residence and vehicles were a total loss.

Five family members were displaced from the home and are staying with family.

No injuries were reported.  An investigation determined that the fire was started by a space heater that had been placed too close to a sofa in the living room.

KCFD officials said they would like to remind residents to install smoke alarms and to test them monthly.  Please resolve to replace their batteries every six months or install newer models that contain a lifetime battery designed to last 10 years.