Just after 3 a.m. Saturday morning, the Kern County Fire Department received a call regarding a house that was on fire in the 300 block of Sierra Vista Street.
Ridgecrest Fire Station Engine 74 arrived on scene to a 1,200 square foot home with heavy smoke coming from the garage.
The first arriving crew pulled hose lines and completed a primary and secondary search of the home. The second in engine immediately secured a water supply. Crews where able to extinguish the fire and contain it to the garage. The fire was contained within 15 minutes.
Five residents were displaced due to the fire. Red Cross was contacted and is working with the family to secure temporary housing.
Due to working smoke detectors, family members were able to be notified of the emergency, call 911 and exit the structure in a safely manner. Crews will be on scene for extensive mop up.
This is the time of year for freezing temperatures. Always maintain your furnaces and always clean your chimneys for any build up of black soot.
Maintain your smoke detectors and change your batteries during the spring and fall seasons.