NewsCovering Kern County


Food stamp recipients impacted by PSPS events can apply for benefit replacements

Posted at 12:27 PM, Nov 05, 2019
and last updated 2019-11-07 12:16:45-05

STALLION SPRINGS, Calif. — Did the recent planned power outages ruin the food in your refrigerator and/ or freezer? Well, if you're a CalFresh client you can apply to get a replacement of your benefits, according to Stallion Springs Community Services District.

The recent PSPS events issued by Southern California Edison and Pacific Gas and Electric left several customers throughout Kern County without power causing their food to spoil.

Jana Slagle with the Kern County Department of Human Services said replacements are available to all Kern County residents who were receiving CalFresh benefits that lost power. They should contact their social worker or by using the Kern County Department of Human Services call center at 877-410-8812. They will work to determine what was lost and what can be replaced.

Slagle points out this will be handled on a case-by-case basis and replacement will be determined by several factors including when the power was shut off and when CalFresh benefits were granted.

The deadline to apply for the CalFresh replacement benefits is November 22.